Can a Neighbour Refuse a Party Wall Agreement?

Can a Neighbour Refuse a Party Wall Agreement?

If you’ve followed all the correct steps in the Party Wall process, can a neighbour refuse a Party Wall Agreement?

Essentially, the short answer is – No.

The party wall process starts by serving a notice on the neighbour.

On receiving a notice, a neighbour can consent or dissent.

They may consent but have conditions. For instance, they may want the condition of their premises recorded by a surveyor before work begins. Any conditions attached to such a consent would be the basis of a ‘party wall agreement’.

Neighbour Refuses a Party Wall Agreement

Surveyors can be appointed to resolve matters if you cannot reach a party wall agreement with your neighbour.

Having served a notice, if your neighbour refuses to appoint a surveyor, you can appoint one on their behalf. Even if your neighbour fails to respond, that is a deemed dispute.

The resolution of a dispute by surveyors cannot be stopped (except by subsequent agreement between you and your neighbour).

Party Wall & Neighbourly Matters Services

Development Agreements

Boundary Reports & Advice

Rights of Way & Easements

Neighbourly Liaison

Boundary Disputes

Further Guidance when appointing a Party Wall Surveyor

For further help and advice if you are concerned a neighbour will refuse a Party Wall agreement, please get in touch.

As a Building Owner planning work to your property please get in touch for help and advice to manage the Party Wall process.

Alternatively, if you are an Adjoining Owner and have received a notice we can advise on how you can best protect your property.

If you would rather we called you instead, please fill in our Contact form and we will be in touch.

For information on how the Party Wall Act affects you see our Party Wall Fact Sheet.

You can also find further information in our Party Wall FAQs. The FAQs have been compiled from questions we are often asked about the Act.

You can also find guidance on choosing a Party Wall Surveyor in our recent news article.

There is some further information in the government’s explanatory booklet on the Party Wall process.

For a quick online quote for Party Wall advice, send us the details of your project.

Local Party Wall Surveyors

To contact a Party Wall surveyor that’s local to you, see details of our teams in :

For advice direct from one of our Surveyors, please call our Enquiry line on 020 4534 3135.

If you are planning work that is covered by the Act, or if you have received notice of work from a neighbour and want advice on how best to protect your property please contact:

Link: Contact Us

Team members shown:

  • Geoffrey Adams
  • Mark Amodio
  • Rickie Bloom
  • Henry Woodley

Sign up to our newsletter